How toTurn Anxiety into Calmness
Physician, author, speaker, researcher, and consultant Martin L. Rossman, MD, discusses how to use the power of the healing mind to reduce stress and anxiety, relieve pain, change lifestyle habits, and live with more wellness. A very instructive and inspiring talk…to start relaxing !
- Worries (= “repetitive circular thoughts”): a creative process generated by the “thinking” part of the brain (Neo-cortex), useful to enhance survival by providing warnings, but worries also: (i) generate fear, (ii) end-up firing brain neuromediators, (iii) and prevent to think about deeper emotional concerns. Interestingly, most of the worries never realize/happen. “Good worries” corresponds to concerns where I may actually do something about, “Bad worries” are the one I certainly cannot !
- Anxiety: an uncomfortable feeling of apprehension/threat/dread controlled by the emotional part of the brain (Limbic system). Associated with a plethora of somatic symptoms.
- Stress: a physical response to fear and threats (real or imagined).
- Adult human brain is plastic and It is possible to induce relaxation states of mind that prevent/control/get rid of anxiety
- “If the brain of blinds can learn to see…our brain can learn to relax!”
- Changing your mind…can change your brain !
- How To Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie