What are Big Data?
Driven by the exponential growth of digital data, “Big Data” is one of the mega trends that are currently reshaping the information technology lanscape (A great landscape review can be found freely available at O’Reilly). According to Wikipaedia, “Big Data is is a collection of data sets so large and complex that it becomes difficult to process using on-hand database management tools”. Big data usually consist in extremely large, machine-generated, unstructured and unprocessed data. These extreme data sets display 3 outstanding dimensions: Volume, Velocity, & Variety. Big Data Validation (the 4th V’s) is also becoming a field of growing interest.
“Transforming problems into possibilities”
Interestingly, IBM describes “Big Data” as a New Natural Resource for the 21st century. Since Big Data capture, curation, storage, search, sharing, analysis, and visualization are extremely challenging using existing database and management technologies, everythings, from algoritms to visualization tools remains to be invented and adapted to a huge variety of scientific, social and business fields. The need for technical breakthrough is revolutionizing many aspect of the IT sector, creating new kind of jobs, new business opportunities and new ways to make sense out of zillions of fragmentary data pieces. The slogan of IBM wrapps it up nicely: “Transforming problems into possibilities”:
The “Big Data” landscape
Here below are some links providing a glimpse at some of the key players involved in the “Big Data” business:
- The Big data Landscape (from Forbes)
- Big Data ventures (from the “Beautiful Data” Blog)
- 10 startups leading the way in ‘big data’
- Google – Knowledge Graphs
- IBM – Bringing Big Data to the enterprise (link to very interesting Strategic reports)
- Hadoop – open-source software for reliable, scalable & distributed computing.
- Hadoop – the definitive guide (Google books)
- Yurbi – the complete Business Intelligence Platform
- Splunk – Operational intelligence and Big Data (see this cool video !!)
- Pentaho – Accelerating Analysis in a Big Data Environment
Cool “Big Data” Infographics